4 December 2006

Completing my 4th Marathon

IMG_0418 I was at it again. Running my 4th marathon. And I thought I might as well do it a la Kenny Sia. No videos though. Then I realised it was quite fun to be sightseeing during the run and decided to take pictures of interesting things I saw. Early in the race, I saw this lady running the full marathon dragging a tire, a styrofoam box, and some cans with her. Extreme Marathoner Extreme Marathoner Pretty insane. Maybe at the next marathon, she'll literally fly. Then I came across this guy stripping for breast cancer. Stripping for Breast Cancer 6.28am The crowds were heading towards Marina South through the underpass. At the underpass 7.06am I had cleared the first roundabout check point just behind me. So I took a few photos of the incoming traffic. IMG_0425 There were plenty of water points along the way... Water point ...and with it came a lot of trash. The trail of trash 7.57am I was well out of the Marina South area and into the CBD. I came across the first Runspirators. Runspiration There were also interesting T-shirts to read along the way. Interesting t-shirts 8.05am Moving on back to Esplanade Bridge and towards East Coast IMG_0434 People snapping pictures of people running. IMG_0435 The Swedish contingent of runspirators Runspiration The elite runners on the other side of the road. IMG_0437 IMG_0438 IMG_0440 And this is on my side of the road. IMG_0439 IMG_0441 Motivation runspiration 8.14am Hobbling along towards East Coast Towards East Coast Another water point, this time with bananas water point Go bananas Somewhere, I saw this... Half dead... Probably too much beer the day before. And then I came across Singapore's Team Hoyt-to-be Singapore's Team Hoyt? 8.36am I bumped into David and Zengrong and did a bit of pointless cam-whoring... Pointless Cam-whoring Pointless Cam-whoring But this one of David and Zengrong is absolutely priceless. want to die liao Another group of runspirators cheering the runners on. runspiration runspiration Then I bumped into Owen, my cell group member from church. Hi Owen! And also a desperate loser. L O S E R At the Tanjong Rhu area, the Runspirators are drastically different... Runspiration Runspiration They do it in comfort, along with champagne. What were they thinking? Formula 1? Along came Ryan was suffering from diarrhoea the day before. Hi Ryan! Runspiration Band runspiration runspiration A picture of used Power Gel packs. trash Volunteers sleeping on the job. Sleeping on the job Cheerleading kids along East Coast runspiration An award-worthy photograph in the making. Young and Old Just that I missed the moment they shook hands. Pity. Hope the SLR camera caught it. NTU Girls NTU Girls Another Runspiration band runspiration Oh look! Spiderman! Go Spiderman! And Cat Woman! Go Cat Woman! Now these are real Runspirations I bumped into more friends too. Hi Leonard! Hi Stanley! Hi Jane! Hi Azlina! I was tempted by this... Temptation But it wasn't open... So I had to carry on with the race. And then, it rained... It rained for more than an hour, and during that time I couldn't take any pictures. And when the rain stopped, I came by this contraption... This doesn't seem to work... ...but it didn't seem to do the job of cooling me down... For the curious, all the trash we left behind are taken care of by foreign workers like him. Cleaning up... 12.23pm I've finally reached a familiar stretch near my workplace. Almost home... Then I go under Sheares Bridge, and caught the foreign workers having a nap. Nap time... Nap time... And at the final moments before crossing the finish line... Impossible is nothing Almost there... Not to forget the photographers who never do a good job at taking my pictures. the photographers And after the finish line... Hi again Jane! An Old Sir and Spiderman Owen and Spiderman Finisher Finishing Barefoot Kids Finishing Together Finisher Finishing Together My tired feet My Bib Trekker And I saw this girl stretchered off. I think she must have been overwhelmed by her accomplishment and the pain that she went through. Stretchered off This being an unofficial Rovers event, we moved off to have a celebratory feast. Struggling on the stairs Struggling on the stairs Do not negotiate the stairs. I repeat, Do NOT negotiate the stairs. Especially after putting your legs through 42.195km. Billboards of cute baby penguins. Happy Feet Happy Feet Finally made our way to Cafe Cartel at Marina Square. At the other table Ryan and Justin Ryan Justin and Jane Ryan and Justin Jane Fish & Chips St Louis Pork Ribs Under table action Justin and Jane

No comments: