3 August 2007

Food Review: Leong Kee (Klang) Bah Kut Teh

As you may know, I like the fried fish bee hoon over at Beach Road and like to walk there for the soupy lunch. As usual, there was a long queue. Not usual was my decision to find something else to eat. So I backtracked a bit and came to Leong Kee. It seems quite popular, why not give it a try since there are seats?

The order took longer than expected. I must have waited about 15 to 20 mins for my claypot of Bak Kut Teh and rice combo. But when I came, I was pleasantly surprised.

Klang Bah Kut Teh

The soup was boiling in the heat insulating claypot when it was presented by before me. So it scores on presentation. The consistency of the soup was almost like a gravy, liken to say, sharks' fin soup and it had a strong herbal taste. Particularly, it had the bitterness from the tang gui used. Unfortunately, that was about all the herbs I could taste. It was something enjoyable, though on the heavy side for a soup.

I liked the addition of the tau kee or fu pi which gave the dish an extra dimension. The vegetable added was also a nice touch. The meat served here seems to be always spare ribs, which is tender to the bite. I liked that it was cooked to the extent where the meat comes off the bone easily.

DSC00122 DSC00121 DSC00124

On another occasion, I tried the pig's trotter. I liked the smoky taste which came from the high heat treatment just before it is served. The texture of the meat was tender and the skin, tendon and fat are something that should be tried at least once no matter how health conscious one may be.

Leong Kee (Klang) Bak Kut Teh 321 Beach Road (Jn Sultan Gate and Beach Road) 11am to 9pm Wed Closed

No comments: